The main task of the Ministry of the Interior is to develop and along with other judicial, governmental and municipal institutions to implement unified policy in the area of fight against crime, protection of public order and security, protection of individual rights and lawful interests, state border security, migration, fire security, rescue, civil protection. Accordingly a unified state policy must be shaped and implemented in the area of ensuring a public and lawful order, carrying out safety measures which are intended to protect rights and lawful interests of individuals residing in the country, record keeping and documentation of population, ensuring of an effective state border protection, carrying out fire safety and rescue measures and civil protection.
The Ministry of the Interior develops and implements policy in the following areas:
• safety of individuals and society;
• fight against crime;
• intelligence and counterintelligence to fight organized and economic crime;
• protection of state border;
• civil protection, fire safety, rescue;
• record keeping and documentation of population as well as migration;
• maintenance and renewal of material reserves;
• evolving information and communication systems that are necessary in order to fulfill Ministry’s functions;
• carries out other tasks foreseen in legislative acts.
In order to fulfill the foreseen tasks the Ministry of the Interior:
• elaborates projects of legislative acts and policy planning documents that regulate the sector;
• provides adjudgments on projects of legislative acts and policy planning documents of other institutions;
• on occasions foreseen in legislative acts issues administrative acts;
• ensures implementation of sectoral policy in state administration institutions subordinated to the Ministry, enterprises under the authority of the Ministry and commercial societies in which the Ministry is a holder of state capital shares;
• prepares and according to the provision in legislative acts provides proposals on implementation of the measures envisaged in legislative acts and relevant policy planning documents and the necessary funding from state budget in order to perform Ministry’s functions;
• represents state interests in international organizations and European Union institutions in the framework of authority of the Ministry;
• on behalf of the state performs activities under private law that are necessary to carry out Ministry’s functions;
• realizes monitoring of performance and other aspects in state administration institutions subordinated to the Ministry;
• performs elaboration of state ordered researches, as well as promotes effective usage of research results while shaping sectoral policy;
• according to the rules foreseen in legislative acts cooperates with other state administration institutions in developing and implementing a unified state policy;
• informs society about sectoral policy and activities of institutions subordinated to the Ministry, consults NGOs in the process of decision making, promotes social dialogue in the area of policy development and implementation, as well as involves representatives of society in state administration activities.